Sunday, January 20, 2008

Brainstorming in the cold

Well, I now know that I belong west of the Rockies; Utah is the coldest I ever want to get. This weekend is cold; the highs in single digits. Ashley and I stayed home from church since it was -2 ,but felt like -17, when Michael left. He would have stayed too but he has things to do at church. The coming week highs are in the teens, yikes! People say that January and February are the worse so hopefully I survive through it.

This morning I have had time to brainstorm a bit about baby needs so I ask the following to you all. What are your top 3 baby items you wished you had for your first, second or even last child? I know some of you have had babies more recent than I, is there anything new over the last 3 1/2 years? I have a few items in mind that I told myself I would get for our second but I would like your thoughts so I can compare to my items and make a current, complete list. I know that already having had one baby, the list will be small with probably a few to several new items but that they will be much needed.

Thanks for your help and input! It is a bit scary to enter the world of multiple children. I have gotten used to it just being Ashley and how easier it is since she is quite independent now days.

6 comments:

Leah said...

Lisa - I love the new swings they have out now..that go sideways or front and back and are portable so you can take them different places in the house. Lydia loved to sleep in her swing when she was really little. I really like having a sound machine in the baby's room too..you know..ones that made different nature sounds..I like putting it on the white noise or ocean wave sounds...Hmmm...I will let you know when I think of some more...

Also, just be prepared..it was hard for me to adjust to that fact that I could not spend as much time (at first) with Carter. Breastfeeding took a while for me to get into again with Lydia. But even when it started going well..babies need a lot of attention and they can't wait when they need stuff like older kids can. So, you may feel you are putting Ashley second..and you might have to. That doesn't mean you love her less.

But no matter the age difference, Carter and Lydia are 4 1/2 years apart, they will still play together. And you are giving Ashley the best gift you could ever give her...a sibling!

Stay healthy and not too cold! I know I complain when the temps are highs of 15 here in Utah! BRRR.... Nebraska was bitter cold. We had two weeks of the year we were not allowed to even go out unless we had a member to drive us to an appt.

brookeisacrazylady said...

A baby wrap or Baby bjorn.

I love the book, the potentially sane mother's guide to raising young children by tamara fackrell...good ideas for multiple kids.

and one of those cute new breast feeding coverups. but i dont' nurse.

dude, i'm wimping at 50 degrees, so sorry!

new babies sleep alot so you'll have plenty of ashley-only time.

i agree with leah about the noise maker...we have a small house and have one in both rooms.

Leah said...

I hope I didn't make it sound like you are never gonna get to spend time with Ashley. Sorry if I did. That was just one thing that took me some time to get used to...juggling my time with two kids. But you will do a great job! You are a born mother!

Anonymous said...

This is your mom. Lisa, get something new for you! It's important to think about you. Maybe a book you have wanted to read and do it now. You may have less time after the baby is born. Sleep, sleep, and sleep as much as you can now before the baby comes. Do things together, whenever you can, with Mike. Get a brand new pair of slippers, a nice gown and robe, a couple of brand new outfits for the baby, a journal, a nice CD. You will adjust because you still will have 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 hands. The hardest part for me it was when No. 3 (you) was born. That was major adjustment.
Love, MOM

Hillary said...

Hi Lisa!
Some great things about baby #2: I am a lot more efficient as a mom this time! I get things done faster, and am much more relaxed with the baby. It was hard for Blake to adjust to the amount of time it takes just to feed a little one. His fave quote, " You are feeding him AGAIN!" But he got used to it and I tried to keep him involved in everything. A big help was to find a place to nurse where he could sit next to me (the couch, my bed, etc.) Then I read him books and we played games (I Spy, The Alphabet Game, etc.) to help him pass the time. Ashley will be a BIG help and will get used to the new baby quickly!

The best new purchases I bought were a sleep positioner, and a nursing cover by BEBE AU LAIT. The sleep positioner is great and keeps him in place on his back or side while he sleeps. I think it makes him feel cozy as well. And the nursing covers are THE BEST! No more awkward moments in public! Seriously, BUY ONE!

Hope this helps!
Love ya!

"plainjaneproud" said...

I got a baby carrier cover with a velcro flap and since Alora was born in the winter it was perfect! I never had to worry about wrapping her in a bunch of blankets and then struggling to buckle her in.

I wish I had a baby sling instead of a regular front pack. My arms were too short to reach things when I had the kids strapped on. Also they allow you to breast feed while carrying the baby.

I loved having Alora and Max close together. They keep eachother company. Alora wasn't jealous until he got older. I guess she didn't see him as competition for attention until later on. But they still love eachother and its amazing how you can love your child and think you couldn't possibly love anyone more (except your spouse). Then along comes another one and you love them just as much although sometimes its in a different way. Maybe that's because I have a boy and a girl. Just make sure to swap with Mike and have solo time with each child. Then they will feel like they are your favorite. (they never have to know you love them equally!)